Hayriye Güleç is an assistant professor at the Department of Psychology at Bursa Uludağ University and a postdoctoral researcher at Interdisciplinary Research Team on Internet and Society at Masaryk University. Her research interests center on e-mental health, psychotherapy research, discrimination, stigma, and representation of disadvantaged groups. Currently, she conducts research on adolescents’ online health-related behaviors with a focus on their digital skills and well-being.
Promotion of young people’s mental health through technology-enhanced personalization of care. You can find more information about the project HERE.
Individually Tailored Stepped Care for Women with Eating Disorders. You can find more information about the project HERE.
- Gulec, H., Kvardova, N., & Smahel, D. (2022). Adolescents' disease- and fitness-related online health information seeking behaviors: The roles of perceived trust in online health information, eHealth literacy, and parental factors. Computers in Human Behavior, 134, 107318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2022.107318
- Gulec, H., & Smahel, D. (2022). Individual and Parental Factors of Adolescents’ mHealth App Use: Nationally Representative Cross-sectional Study. JMIR mHealth and uHealth, 10(12), e40340. https://doi.org/10.2196/40340
- Gulec, H., Torun, T., Prado, A. D. S., Bauer, S., Rummel-Kluge, C., & Kohls, E. (2022). Eating attitudes and depressive symptoms in a LGBTIQ sample in Turkey. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 13. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2022.1014253
- Smahel, D., Gulec, H., Lokajova, A., Dedkova, L., & Machackova, H. (2022). The integrative model of ICT effects on Adolescents’ well-being (iMEW): The synthesis of theories from developmental psychology, media and communications, and health. European Journal of Developmental Psychology, 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1080/17405629.2022.2135501
- Feldhege, J., Gulec, H., Moessner, M., Stieler, C., van Stipelen, Jh., & Bauer, S. (in press). Stigmatization and attitudes toward eating disorders: A comparison between native German adolescents, Turkish immigrant adolescents in Germany, and native Turkish adolescents. Journal of Mental Health. https://doi.org/10.1080/09638237.2021.1979484
- Gulec, H., Karaca Arslan, M., Başkaya, G., Karaca, S., Kahraman, N. (2021). Attitudes of university students towards Syrians in Turkey: A scale development study. Turkish Psychological Articles, 24(47), 79-96. https://doi.org/10.31828/tpy1301996120210110m000033
- Özmen Gülpek, D., Gulec, H., & Tekman, H.G. (2021). The effects of age-based stereotype threat on the memory performance of the elderly. Society and Social Work, 32(2), 543-565.
- Mezei, Á., Gulec, H., Czeglédi, E., Fritz, A., & Túry, F. (2015). Linguistic characteristics of patients with bulimic symptomatology in an online post-treatment program: An exploratory study. Eating and Weight Disorders, 20(1), 63-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40519-014-0136-1
- Gulec, H., Moessner, M., Túry, F., Fiedler, P., Mezei, A., & Bauer, S. (2014). A Randomized Controlled Trial of an Internet-Based Posttreatment Care for Patients with Eating Disorders. Telemedicine and e-Health, 20(10), 916-922.
- Túry F., Gulec, H. & Mezei Á. (2014). Disorders of eating and body image at the beginning of the 21st century – what the future will bring us? Lege Artis Medicinae, 24, 229-233.
- Túry, F., Mezei, A. & Gulec, H. (2012). New methods in treatment of patients with eating disorders. Pszichoterápia 21, 76-84.
- Túry, F., Gulec, H. & Kohls, E. (2010). Assessment methods for eating disorders and body image disorders. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 69, 601-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2009.05.012
- Kvardová, N., Macháčková, H., & Güleç, H. (2022, October 19-22). "I wish I'd have a body like that!": The effect of social media comments endorsing appearance ideals on body dissatisfaction of adolescents. Presented at the 9th European Communication Conference (ECREA), Aarhus, Denmark. Available here.
- Šmahel, D., Güleç, H., Lokajová, A., Dědková, L., & Macháčková, H. (2022, October 19-22). The integrative model of ICT effects on adolescents’ well-being: The synthesis of theories. Presented at the 9th European Communication Conference (ECREA), Aarhus, Denmark. Available here.
- Gulec, H., Kvardová, N., & Šmahel, D. (2021, November). The Roles of Trust, E-health Literacy and Parental Influence in Online Health Information-Seeking Behaviors of Adolescents. Presented at Cyberspace conference, Brno, Czech Republic.
- Lokajová, A., Güleç, H., & Šmahel, D. (2022, December 6). Growing up in a tech-heavy era: How online activities relate to adolescents’ well-being? CO:RE Evidence. [blogpost] Available here.
Hayriye Güleç, Ph.D.
ResearchGate: Hayriye Gulec
- e-mental health
- psychotherapy research and assessment in eating disorders
- discrimination, stigma, and representation of disadvantaged groups
- adolescents' online health information-seeking behaviors
- parental mediation
- trust in online health information