Jakub Mikuška, Ph.D. is a postdoctoral researcher at the Masaryk University’s Interdisciplinary Research Team on Internet and Society. He received his Ph.D. in Family Sciences in 2019 from the University of Kentucky. His academic interests are centered around adolescent development, focusing on the impact of media use (internet, video games, etc.) on youth development, and advanced measurement as well as quantitative methods.
- Mascheroni, G., Cino, D., Mikuška, J., & Smahel, D. (2022). Explaining inequalities in vulnerable children’s digital skills: The effect of individual and social discrimination. New Media & Society, 24(2), 437–457. https://doi.org/10.1177/14614448211063184
- Mikuska, J., Smahel, D., Dedkova, L., Staksrud, E., Mascheroni, G., & Milosevic, T. (2020). Social relational factors of excessive internet use in four European countries. International Journal of Public Health, 65(8), 1289-1297. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-020-01484-2
- Vazsonyi, A. T., Ksinan, A. J., Jiskrova, G. K., Mikuška, J., Javakhishvili, M., & Cui, G. (2018). To grit or not to grit, that is the question! Journal of Research in Personality, 78, 215-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2018.12.006
- Mikuška, J. & Vazsonyi, A. T. (2017). Developmental links between gaming and depressive symptoms. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 28(3), 680-697. https://doi.org/10.1111/jora.12359
- Vazsonyi, A. T., Mikuška, J., & Gaššová, Z. (2017). Revisiting the immigrant paradox: Suicidal ideations and suicide attempts among immigrant and non-immigrant adolescents. Journal of Adolescence, 59, 67-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2017.05.008
- Vazsonyi, A. T., Mikuška, J., & Kelly, E. L. (2017). It's time: A meta-analysis on the self-control-deviance link. Journal of Criminal Justice, 48, 48-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrimjus.2016.10.001
- Vazsonyi, A. T., Ksinan, A., Mikuška, J., & Jiskrova, G. (2015). The Big Five and adolescent adjustment: An empirical test across six cultures. Personality and Individual Differences, 83, 234-244.
- Blinka, L., & Mikuška, J. (2014). The role of social motivation and sociability of gamers in online game addiction. Cyberpsychology, 8 (2).
- Ksinan, A., Jiskrova, G., Mikuska, J., & Vazsonyi, A. T. (2015). Openness, neuroticism, conscientiousness, and adolescent well-being: Evidence from six cultural contexts. In M. Blatny (Ed.), Personality and well-being across the lifespan (pp. 89-108). London: Palgrave.
- Vazsonyi, A. T., & Mikuška, J. (2013). Immigration nation? Swiss fremdenkinder yesterday and today (pp. 471-485), in C. Schwarzenegger & A. Kuhn., Festschrift for Martin Killias. Zurich, CH:University of Zurich.
- Mikuška, J., Šmahel, D., Dědková, L. A., Mascheroni, G., Milosevic, T. & Staksrud, E. (2020, September). Social environment factors of excessive internet use in four European countries. Presented at the European Association for Research on Adolescence (EARA) 2020 (Online) Conference - Adolescence in a rapidly changing world, Porto, Portugal.
Jakub Mikuška, Ph.D.
- Adolescent development
- Adolescent risk behaviors
- Video games and addiction
- Impact of technology on family life